Rake issues in ruby on rails

I'm having a really frustrating issue: Rake is being dumb.

Here's how the problem comes about:

$ rails new test_app
$ rails generate scaffold new_scaffold field1
:string field2:text

Both of those work just fine, but then when I do this,

$ rake db:migrate

I get the following error.

(in /home/mikhail/test_app)
rake aborted
!
uninitialized constant
Rake::DSL
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2482:in `const_missing'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.0/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:8:in `
<class:TaskLib>'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.0/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:6:in `<module:Rake>'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.0/lib/rake/tasklib.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.0/lib/rake/rdoctask.rb:20:in `
require'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.9.0/lib/rake/rdoctask.rb:20:in `<top (required)>'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/tasks/documentation.rake:1:in `require'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/tasks/documentation.rake:1:in `
<top (required)>'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/tasks.rb:15:in `load'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/tasks.rb:15:in `block in <top (required)>'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/tasks.rb:6:in `
each'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/tasks.rb:6:in `<top (required)>'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/application.rb:214:in `require'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/application.rb:214:in `
initialize_tasks'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/application.rb:139:in `load_tasks'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/railties-3.0.7/lib/rails/application.rb:77:in `method_missing'
/home/mikhail/test_app/Rakefile:7:in `
<top (required)>'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2373:in `load'

/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2373:in `raw_load_rakefile'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2007:in `
block in load_rakefile'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2058:in `standard_exception_handling'

/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2006:in `load_rakefile'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:1991:in `
run'
/usr/bin/rake:31:in `<main>'

I've looked about the Internet for similar/same errors, and people have had them. Just no one ever seems to solve the problem!

How do I fix this problem?



I didn't solve the issue, but here's what worked. I did 'rm -rf /lib/ruby' and then downloaded ruby source, compiled & installed. – mikhailvs May 22 at 3:06
feedback

10 Answers

up vote 22 down vote accepted

I made some research just after my previous answer (sorry, I must do before it).

All problems are solved with Rake gem 0.9.2.. I followed these steps:

  • I installed gem install rake -v=0.9.2 (I had the 0.9.1 gem)
  • removed the 0.9.1 with gem uninstall rake -v=0.9.1
  • updated with bundle update
  • then the db:migrate showed a warning, WARNING: Global access to Rake DSL methods is deprecated. Please....

    It was solved by adding the following to the Rake file.

    module ::YourApplicationName  
     
    class Application
        include
    Rake::DSL
     
    end
    end
  • I ommited the module ::RakeFileUtils extend Rake::FileUtilsExtend option sugested by @databyte.



Followed the first three steps and I got no warning so didn't bother with the rest, Thanks for the suggestion! – Abe Petrillo Jun 26 at 21:26

likewise, first three steps = Victory! for me. – Robin Jul 16 at 13:36

This begs me to ask... Why should I hack Rake to retain that feature? What is Rake trying to do, and what should I use now? – Ryanmt Jul 21 at 0:38

@Arrumaco, What is the directory for the Rake file? – Ctak Jul 31 at 4:57
feedback

A tweet from DHH earlier. Rake .9.0 breaks Rails and several other things, you need to:

gem "rake", "0.8.7"

in your Gemfile.




This was the only solution that worked for me in the end. – duckyfuzz May 22 at 21:28
7  
This worked for me. I needed to do bundle update rake first. Then I checked with bundle show rake. It should say 0.8.7. Then rake db:migrate. –  B Seven May 23 at 1:25
8  
Or even better: gem "rake", "!= 0.9.0". This avoids the broken 0.9.0 release, but will update to newer once a fresher release is published (removing this later won't hurt, but keeping it shouldn't hurt either). – Spiralis May 24 at 0:59
1  
38 upvotes, can we get it marked as an answer? – Caley Woods Jun 21 at 20:37
2  
this solution worked work for me. Like @dharmatech, I have this issue come up in heroku rake db:migrate and this seemed to fix it. remember to add and commit these changes to git before proceeding ;) – pruett Jul 26 at 21:25
show 6 more comments
feedback

Going through Chapter 2 of Railstutorial (demo_app) and ran into this problem. I tried all of the other answers listed here, but couldn't get it to work until I did this:

Put this in your Rakefile above require 'rake':

require 'rake/dsl_definition'

via How to fix the uninitialized constant Rake::DSL problem on Heroku?

I also recommitted and pushed all files to Github and Heroku.





feedback

Rails 3.1.rc1 has been updated. For your own Rakefiles, you can add this before the call to load_tasks.

module ::YourApplicationName
 
class Application
    include
Rake::DSL
 
end
end

module ::RakeFileUtils
  extend
Rake::FileUtilsExt
end

https://gist.github.com/4cd2bbe68f98f2f0249f

UPDATE: Also noticed it's already answered here as well: Undefined method 'task' using rake 0.9.0.beta.4




feedback

I am a Windows XP user and I had the same problem.

I entered gem "rake", "0.8.7" into the gemfile, and then typed the following from the command window.

bundle update rake

This fixed my problem.




worked for me too, as of today. just trying to code rails on Win7. – arscariosus Jun 22 at 9:51
feedback

All I needed to do was use:

gem install rake

I had version 0.9.2 already, just needed installing.




feedback

I had the same issue and had to use the rake 0.8.7 gem instead of 0.9.0.





feedback

Same as Branstar above - thanks Branstar!

  • OS: Windows Vista
  • Level: Completely new to Ruby on Rails
  • I already had Ruby 1.9.2 installed

I followed the instructions in Running Rails 3 on Windows.

All worked up until the "rake db:migrate" part which gave me the same output as original post.

I ran:

gem install rake

I ran again:

rake db:migrate

Then I was able to start the Ruby on Rails server and had everything in place.

Thanks again Branstar :-)





feedback

I feel for you (mikhailvs), it's really frustrating. I have been going crazy for almost one full day. I even uninstalled Ruby and all its dependent files and shutdown my PC, but I still got the same problem.

What I got from the error message is the problem with Rake 0.9.2. It seems like it wasn't fully installed. So I had to reinstall gem install rake -v=0.9.2

I wasn't sure if I have rake –v0.9.1 installed. So to make sure I'm safe I tried to remove that old version with gem uninstall rake -v=0.9.1. But is showed me the error message

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
    cannot uninstall
, check `gem list -d rake`

OK, so I checked all Rake directories on my PC, and found I only had Rake 0.9.2. Then to check if everything went alright, I migrated with rake db:migrate. And it worked :)

I think I didn't have Rake 0.9.1 because I clean-installed Ruby (rubyinstaller-1.9.2-p180 - on my Windows 7 system) and all gems as well. In the meantime Rake 0.9.2 wasn't fully installed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rails Memcache issues

Enabling password authentication for new ec2 box | ssh, ssh config, EC2 setup, new user in EC2, PasswordAuthentication

What's the difference between "include" and "require" in Ruby?